Sunday 27 November 2016

Nail Care.

I wear a lot of nail varnish. In fact, there isn't a time when I don't have both my toe and my finger nails painted. When I don't have my nails painted, I feel the same way others feel when they aren't wearing their favourite piece of jewellery, like I'm missing something. Because of this, it's important that I take care of my nails, which is actually something I've only recently started doing...

Every so often, I give my nails a thorough looking after. I definitely don't do this enough but, when I do, I make sure I do it properly. I start my removing all my nail varnish, making sure to always go back over it with a clean piece of cotton wool just to make sure I've got everything off. I tend to use Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover. I'll then shower, giving my hands a good wash. I like my nails to be an even shape so, once out, I'll decide if they need cutting, trimming or shaping.

I'll admit it, I used to be a nail biter but, worse than that, I used to eat the skin around my nails. I still do that, but more so when I'm nervous. To keep the skin around my nails healthy, I use Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme. It leaves the skin around my nails feeling soft and smooth, and even makes my fingers smell of sherbet lemons, some of my favourite sweets ever.


Next up is the base coat. I've actually only just started using a base coat, which is fundamental in keeping your nails healthy. I recently borrowed (stole) a Sally Hansen Base Coat from my Mam, which I've found to work well. On the bottle, it says to use two to three coats, but I tend to go for one or two. My favourite thing about it is that it enables you to just peel off your nail varnish instead of using harsh chemicals to remove it. I was a bit wary at first, as I thought that my actual nail would peel off with it, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that it didn't damage my nails at all. Admittedly, it has given me another excuse to just pick at my nails, but still...

After I've applied my base coat, I apply two coats of whatever nail polish takes my fancy. My nail polish depends on my mood, what I'm wearing or I just sometimes fancy a particular colour. Right now, I'm loving 336 Electric Blue from, surprise surprise, KIKO.


Once my nail polish has properly tried, I apply a top coat. If I've applied a nail varnish that I know chips quite easily, then I'll apply two top coats, making sure it'll last as long as possible. I tend to use KIKO Gel Look Top Coat or, if I fancy something else, I'll use one that gives a matte look, a metallic finish, or something else, depending on the finish I want on my nails.


Now to get those nails prepped and ready for Christmas!
What do you use to look after your nails?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment