Monday 2 November 2015

October Favourites - Things To Do in Málaga.

It's been just over a month since I moved out, left Málaga and moved to London. There's no denying that, when I was younger, I definitely didn't appreciate the beauty of Málaga. I considered it a place full of goats and olive trees, where everybody ate paella and it never rained. I was very, very wrong. Now that I'm older, I truly appreciate the architecture, the history of the buildings and the country itself, and the people. Oh, the food's not too bad either, and they don't just eat paella. They save that for a Sunday lunch. Call it their Sunday Roast, if you will. Now that I've had time away, I do actually miss the place, so here is a list of things I plan on doing as soon as I get back.

  • Caminito Del Rey, El Chorro: TranslationPathway of the King. Up until it's renovation this past year, the walkway, which was built in 1901 and opened by King Alfonso XIII, was considered to be one of the most dangerous walks in the world. Don't believe me? Watch this video and prepare for your stomach to drop. It's been redone and is now extremely popular with both tourists and Spaniards alike. It's free and almost impossible to get tickets for. It opened in March and it's only now that there are vacancies, but I'm hoping to get on it whilst over visiting in December.
 

  •  Ardales Lakes, El Chorro: Just up from the walkaway is one of my favourite places on Earth. During warmer months, they are the ideal place to get away for picnics, to practise water sports or even just to relax, and, for the Winter, perfect for brisk walks along the shores. I don't know what it is about they that makes them so special, but they're simply breathtaking. They're going to be filming Game of Thrones there soon too! They date back thousands of years, with items from the Copper ages and from the age of Al-Andalus having been found.
Not my photo - taken from Google
  • Málaga Cathedral: If there's one thing you have to do in Málaga, it's to visit Málaga Cathedral. It is easily one of my favourite places there, if not in the world. I love everything about it and can easily spend hours in there. I'm excited to go back and I'd actually love to get married there! I don't think my mother ever expected me to love a Catholic church which was built during the Renaissance era, back in 1528, to become one of my favourite places. The photos below are my own and are actually some of my favourite photos that I've ever taken!



  • The Old Town: Though I love the new quarter and all of the shops, I will never tire of the old town. After all, you can find shops anywhere, but the buildings in the old quarter are one of a kind. Some of my favourites include the Alcazaba, the Picasso museum (Picasso was born in Málaga), Málaga church and the Roman ruins. I can't get over how stunning they all are. 
The church
The Alcazaba


  • Day Trips: There are two main train stations in Málaga, one of which offers a variety of destinations, including Paris, Barcelona and London. It does also offer a lot of places closer to home, some of which make for great day trips. Two of my favourites are Seville and Ronda, both of which, along with Málaga, are some of my favourite places in the world. I love each place that I have visited for different reasons, but I think I love these three because of the history.
Seville 
Seville
Ronda
Can you tell history was my favourite subject at school? I could tell you more about Spain than probably any other country or subject in the world.
Have any of you ever been to Málaga?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment