Thursday 7 January 2016

Paris in Photos: Part 1.

You might hear this a lot of the next few weeks (expect ootd posts and more similar to this particular one), but Paris is easily one of my favourite cities in the world. I love the architecture, the food (CRÊPES), the people, the atmosphere and, well, French boys (yum). I was going to do a post for each day spent in Paris during my recent holiday there, but felt that you might get a tiny bit bored by it all and I don't think my heart could take knowing that I won't be back there for a while, so I decided to condense it down in to two posts. Expect the second post in a couple of weeks time. Below are a few photos from Disneyland, Versailles, the Louvre, Notre Dame and Sainte Chapelle.


Our first day in Paris was spent at Disneyland. We ended up meeting up with some other friends who were there at the time and we even witnessed an engagement in front of the castle! This made the experience even more magical. I saw someone holding up massive cards and, as a joke, shouted "THEY'RE RECREATING LOVE ACTUALLY". Everyone in our group got very excited, other than Michael, who was very confused and said "Do you think it's a protest?" We all ran off and it turned out to be a proposal and we, being the typical British tourists that we are, started screaming and applauding. At least we'll make the engagement video!
Carousels at Disney 
National Academy of Music

Though I didn't get to see as much as the Louvre as I would have liked (you honestly need an entire day in order to see everything), I still got to see the main rooms, including the infamous Mona Lisa. It was weird wandering through the halls, reminiscing about my last trip there and thinking about how much everything has changed since I was last there.
The Louvre


The only thing we actually ended up spending money in Paris was food. All attractions and monuments were free, which is great. France are definitely on the right track as entry is free to most sites if you are under 26, a student, an EU citizen, etc. One thing that really was worth the money was the Arc de Triomphe. As we were visiting the Eiffel Tower during the day, we decided to climb the Arc de Triomphe at night. Though the stairs and the freezing cold wind almost killed me, it was definitely worth the climb. We were actually in Paris during the massive Climate Change talk (only I would go to Paris and see the president of France while walking to the Arc to Triomphe, haha!), which meant the Eiffel Tower wasn't properly lit up at night. Instead, we got to witness the first trees climbing their way up the Eiffel Tower (video here).

Arc de Triomphe
Saint Chapelle

Notre Dame


You can't go to Paris without visiting the Eiffel Tower. Even if you don't fancy going up to the top, it's worth visiting the park and creperie in front. I don't know whether I look like a famous person, but the French seemed to absolutely love me. People asked for photos, gave me discounts, a man gave me a bracelet, someone came up to me at the Louvre and asked to draw me, another asked to put my photo in a gallery, I got let in to restricted areas... Honestly, everyone needs a week like that because I came back with my head fives time the size! 

Eiffel Tower





Being the History nerd that I am, Versailles, the Pantheon and Napoleon's tomb were probably my favourite places that we visited. Narrowing it down to three is actually quite good considering just how much we managed to cram in in just five days, though there is still so much on my list of places to visit! I guess that means I'll just have to go back. One of the best things that I took away from Paris is the friendships I made. A random fact about me is that I'll happily talk to anyone, which actually pays off as I ended up getting chatting and making friends with the most wonderful people!
Versaille


Have any of you been to Paris?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment