Friday 1 July 2016

A Letter to Heather and Tim.

Before arriving in Australia, I'd only met Heather and Tim once. It was the first time Heather and my Mam, who are cousins, had seen each other in 30 years but, unfortunately, we only got to spend a few hours together. During that visit, we talked briefly about how much I'd love to visit Australia, but it wasn't until two years later that I finally made the jump and booked tickets to Perth, where they have spent the past twenty years. Fast forward four months and I'm still here. Anyone else would probably have gotten sick off my constant singing (only Heather would join in when I told her that I had the Pink Panther theme tune stuck in my head) or how I talk about my eyebrows more than I talk about my own family, but not them. They have been my adventure buddies and taken me up, down & all around Western Australia and even on a trip to Singapore. You can tell just how many adventures we've been on just by looking on Heather's Facebook page, which is filled with photos of our escapades (and my selfies). 


I've always said that the only time my family, especially my Mam, will find out I have a boyfriend is via wedding invitation, but I somehow felt comfortable enough with Heather & Tim for them to meet one (though I don't think Tim knows this... And Heather knows far too much!). 

Heather & Tim - you welcomed me, my friends and my five suitcases with open arms. Over the past four months, you've helped me work my way through my Western Australia Bucket List, including seeing koalas, kangaroos and wild dolphins, feeding giraffes and visiting various different places, introduced me to your friends and family (that I didn't even know existed) and helped me make a life here. Even when I (briefly) moved out for work purposes, I knew the door was always open and it really was - not to mention the fact there was always a Crunchie, a box of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, Coffee and a comfy bed (alteration is clearly my strong point) with an electric blanket on for me to come back to. You listened to me rant and rave, left me to my own devices, offered me so much and seen me at my worst (Hand, foot and mouth followed by food poisoning is GREAT, but only when your uncle happens to be a ridiculously talented microbiologist, saving you lots of $$$ on medical fees)., AND you let me pick which movie we watched whenever we went to the cinema. You even taught me to kayak and, shock horror, got me out of bed before 8am. It was the perfect family life and getaway that I needed. You've taught me so much, though I like to think I've taught you something too... Mainly about the importance of good eyebrows, how to pull a duck face and the perfect angle for selfies, but you've got to start somewhere and these are obviously important life hacks.



The family that wears hats together stays together


I'm not the best at telling people how I feel so I could never say this in person, I'd just cringe or giggle (though I did try after a very strong Singapore Sling...), but Tim and Heather: you are both the kindest, most selfless people I have ever met. I don't think I will ever be able to thank-you enough, or put into words just how thankful I am. 

Now to find a friend with an iPhone 6+ who will let me run off with it and take selfies all day...

Thank-you for everything.
You're always welcome on my university dorm room floor.
I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment